Thursday, March 10, 2005

Lebanese newspaper calls for family therapist

So, a Lebanese newspaper calls for a family counselor to settle the current crisis. I hereby offer my services free of charge.

In all seriousness, though, it's an interesting point the newspaper is making--but perhaps not the one it's intending to make. Family counseling and mediation are all very well and good, but they don't work miracles, and, especially in cases of violence and power disparities between the parties, therapy and mediation can be downright dangerous. The idea--very deeply-held among many liberals of good will--that mediation can solve anything and that the old "can't we just work it out?" routine is relevant in all circumstances is responsible for a lot of harm in this world, well-intentioned though it may be.

I lay a good part of the responsibility for the belief in the universal applicability of these methods at the feet (or the mouths?) of therapists. I'm a believer in therapy. But it is not a panacea, and is most definitely not applicable to all situations--not by a long shot. The recent over-therapization (is that a word?) of our society is responsible for a good deal of harm. Once of these days I'll write a longer piece on that subject.

3 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, March 10, 2005, Blogger Dr. Sanity said...

I'll be available if medication is needed (likely, I think!)

 
At 10:08 PM, March 11, 2005, Blogger ljmcinnis said...

I totally agree and am looking forward to reading more when you are inclined.

 
At 9:42 PM, December 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This seems to be a good place to add this blog in hope of geting advice. I am 24 years old with 3 childeren, my father growing up was very abusive in many ways.since i have moved on.And yes I did go through conseling for 4 years and was on meds through part of that.Through the years he has made contact with me and each time i try and build a relationship with him. Which I find extreamly hard, And a lot of the time , he just makes me angry.I have feelings of being afraid and aprehencive towards him.I can not trust him with my childeren.This last time I have decided that i would no longer have anything to do with him.I feel this is for my own sanity as well as the safty of my family.But I dont know if this will help heal anything or if i am just hiding the problem again?
yours sencerly
Anonymous

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger