Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Pajamas presents: moi

I noticed that my Pajamas profile is up today--so welcome, Pajamas Media readers and Roger Simon readers.

Since I had no control whatsoever over the editing process, it was interesting to observe just what parts the profile included of a rather lengthy--perhaps half-hour--interview in which I was speaking, not writing. Will you believe me when I say that I was positively flowing with extraordinarily articulate and insightful statements, all of which were left out? No? I guess I wouldn't, either.

If you are here for the first time, and want to learn what the site is about, I recommend that you take a look at anything on the right sidebar under the heading "Best of neo-neocon." The heart of this blog, if you have a bit of time to read more, is my "A mind is a difficult thing to change" series, also found on the right sidebar.

As far as my profile goes, I have a couple of mild corrections to make. The first is: did I really say "shocking" that many times? If so, I find it quite shocking--must correct that tendency. Also, the Howard Johnson's piece I referenced was historical and nostalgiac; HoJo's is not presently a part of my life. Next: when I'm quoted as saying, "you step outside the circle and you see the emperor's new clothes" I believe I actually said, "the emperor has no clothes (I know, picky, picky). Lastly, as I state in my FAQs, although I do have training and background as a marriage and family therapist, I am not currently practicing but have plans to open a private practice within the next six months to a year.

There you have it--accuracy in media.

9 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

I don't think you're being picky. Getting the words right is very important. IMHO.

 
At 1:35 PM, September 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, and I enjoy reading it. You will be one of my bookmarks!

 
At 1:37 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger erp said...

You have chosen to blog anonymously, but in today's small world, it's unlikely your identity can remain hidden for long and should it become public, how do you think perspective clients would react to a therapist so outside their own worldview?

As someone who has been living in a world where almost everyone I've encountered over a long life has views diametrically opposite to my own, I can tell you it can be very lonely. I've found ideologues prefer to hug their cherished, if wrong-headed, beliefs to their bosoms and when confronted with the hard, cold truth, they favor personal attacks over reasoned discourse.

In any case, you're very brave to stand up for your beliefs. Good luck with the Panama Media. They look to be a lively bunch.

 
At 3:05 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger Pancho said...

Congrats on your write up on PJ Media. And it's OK to admit that you are hooked on HoJo and spend a good deal of your day there..... :>]

 
At 4:41 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger ShrinkWrapped said...

Congrats on the profile. I second the Baron's comment; as you know, language matters.
As for starting a practice while blogging (as opposed to starting a blog while practicing) it does present some unique, but not insurmountable problems. A lot depends on your surround. In New York, it is best to maintain anonymity if at all possible if one has a non-orthodox (ie, conservative) point of view.

 
At 6:14 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger Bookworm said...

I thought it was a very nice profile. Congratulations.

 
At 6:43 PM, September 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your pajamas media profile...congrats on being part of such an exciting undertaking. And, whew, all those degrees...no wonder I am always so humbled at your clarity of thought and ability to express yourself. Even if your family doesn't agree with your political transformation, they have to feel gratified you're still an achiever!

 
At 12:45 AM, September 21, 2005, Blogger flenser said...

Congratulations, nnc. Does this mean you will be at the Manhattan launch of PJ?

 
At 10:29 AM, September 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered your site through Roger L. Simon. Read your conversion series. I'm pretty close to your age (b. 1950) and would describe my life as being a long series of enlightening disillusionments or, maybe disillusioning enlightenments ... whatever. Probably the most important of these was abandoning religion in favor of science when I was 12 or 13. Once I got rid of faith and gave in to what is apparently a congenital anti-authoritarianism and skepticism, it became relatively easy to shed myself of various orthodoxies. (Note: I document one of my "conversion" experiences in this introduction to a series I wrote describing some political activism I engaged in 5 years ago.)

Whenever a person can free their mind from the chains of orthodoxy, it's an event worth celebrating.

Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger