Wednesday, January 25, 2006

New "change" post

It's official: my next "change" post will appear here, either late tonight or by about noon tomorrow.

[disclaimer on]

Warning: it's long. I may have undergone a lot of changes, but I can't seem to change that aspect of myself.

Whenever I'm writing one of these things, I feel a bit like a boa constrictor who's swallowed a rather large and unwieldy elephant (or donkey). It seems all but indigestible; impossible to assimilate. But then it's done and I feel so much better, although I can't really evaluate the worth of the project. I can only place it up here and hope for the best.

But one thing kept striking me again and again as I struggled with this particular portion of the story. It wasn't easy to look back and admit my own previous (pre-9/11) lack of interest in things that were so important, my tendency to skim the surface of the events of our time, and my seemingly blind trust in just a few media sources. My interests lay elsewhere, as they do for so many of us.

And that's probably not such a bad thing. After all, relationships and people, art and music and theater, fiction and movies, food and nature and work and play, all call to us with insistent voices that should not be denied. Who wants to spend so much time reading the fine print of newspapers, or trying to ferret out the elusive truth, when all those other important and life-affirming things beckon?

In that respect I was (and, to some extent, still am) typical of most people. I don't want to spend my life in front of a computer screen, and I still don't do so--although I spend a good deal more time there than I used to, and sometimes more than I want to. But only fanatics (on both sides) or experts become utterly obsessed with these things. I think I've managed to avoid becoming either, although some of my friends might disagree and rank me among the former.

It would be wonderful (perhaps) if we could all simply sit down with some sort of Krell learning machine and be able to instantaneously absorb reams of information. But we can't.

My introspective nature combined with my training as a therapist might enable me to describe the process of political change better than some, it's true. But if you find yourself reading my next "change" post and wondering at my previous (or present!) naivete and/or lack of expertise, just remember that I consider my story valuable for its relative ordinariness, not because I'm some sort of seer or savant.

[/disclaimer off]

But I stand by what I write. It's a story I've been wanting to tell. And if you feel like the wedding guest stopped by Coleridge's ancient mariner, I apologize.

But please understand that I feel at least partly responsible for the slaying of the albatross. Do you?

Since then, at an uncertain hour,
That agony returns :
And till my ghastly tale is told,
This heart within me burns.

I pass, like night, from land to land ;
I have strange power of speech ;
That moment that his face I see,
I know the man that must hear me :
To him my tale I teach.

15 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, January 25, 2006, Blogger mdfay said...

I just enjoy reading your writing. You are wonderfully lucid. I find the writings on the left are generally harsh to read and footnoted no further back than 1965. Love the Ancient Mariner reference. I used to think that "silly buckets" would make a good name for a rock band.

 
At 4:44 PM, January 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news, neo-neocon! I can't wait to read it. :)

 
At 4:47 PM, January 25, 2006, Blogger gatorbait said...

Neo, take your time. Something like this is not easy, nor should it be rushed. When it gets here , it'll be a great read.

 
At 4:58 PM, January 25, 2006, Blogger Sissy Willis said...

You are a bellwether for whatever is crouching towards Bethlehem these days. 'Love you so.

 
At 5:02 PM, January 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off Subject: Anybody ever hear ofa group called United American COmmittee which is calling for demonstrations against Islamofascism on feb 1?
http://www.unitedamericancommittee.org/

 
At 8:12 PM, January 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be wonderful (perhaps) if we could all simply sit down with some sort of Krell learning machine and be able to instantaneously absorb reams of information.
Didn't that machine kill you if you were stupid? Perhaps there is a eugenics application. :)

 
At 9:01 PM, January 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've spent the last hour or so pouring through some of the past posts and links (this being my first visit to your blog) ... very refreshing to find someone who is well-spoken/written and actually thinks before they engage their keyboard. Perhaps I'm jaded from my various forays into the Think Progress comments section, but kudos to you.

 
At 7:42 AM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Krell learning machine wouldn't be that wonderful. If it just dumped information into your head - names, dates, etc. - you'd still need to spend a lot of time working out what it all meant, so it wouldn't give you instant understanding of a subject. If it also supplied the understanding, you'd be having someone else's interpretation of a subject written directly into your mind. For non-controversial technical subjects, that might be OK. For anything involving value judgements, it would be a form of brain-washing.

Somewhat OT, that reminds me of an old Doctor Who story called "Shada" in which the villain wanted to project his mind into every living being in the universe. That seems like a perfect metaphor for totalitarianism: the leader's mind in every body.

 
At 7:55 AM, January 26, 2006, Blogger goesh said...

freedom freedom everywhere and not a moments peace to be had
for in my youth I knew it was the government that was only truly bad

 
At 10:01 AM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sincerely can't wait...well, yeh, I know I have to but it makes me wish my computer had an out loud alarm bell that would alert me the minute your piece got posted. Many of us have been on the same journey and appreciate your gift of describing the process of the lightbulb going on.

 
At 10:24 AM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your training as a therapist includes access to academic journals, you might want to read a few articles on the topic of "social dominance orientation" (SDO). I only suggest it in case you're tempted to generalize from your own experience.

An excerpt from Durieza (2002):

Social dominance orientation (SDO) is considered to be 'a general attitudinal orientation toward intergroup relations, reflecting whether one generally prefers such relations to be equal, versus hierarchical' (Pratto, Sidanius, Stallworth, & Malle, 1994, p. 742). SDO thus reflects an individual’s tendency to classify social groups along a superiority–inferiority dimension and to favour policies that maintain social inequality. Researchers reported strong correlations between SDO and general conservative beliefs, such as ethnic prejudice, political and economic conservatism, and right-wing political party preferences (e.g. Pratto et al., 1994; Sidanius, Pratto, & Bobo, 1996; Pratto, Stallworth, & Sidanius, 1997). Also strong correlations between SDO and other variables such as nationalism, patriotism, rejection of noblesse oblige, support of punitive policies and military programs were reported (Pratto, Stallworth, & Conway-Lanz, 1998; Sidanius & Liu, 1992; Sidanius, Liu, Shaw, & Pratto, 1994; for a recent overview, Pratto, 1999).

Source:
Bart Durieza, Alain Van H. (2002)
The march of modern fascism. A comparison of social dominance orientation and authoritarianism. Personality and Individual Differences, 32, 1199–1213.

Quoted sources:
Pratto, F., Sidanius, J., Stallworth, L. M., & Malle, B. F. (1994). Social Dominance Orientation: a personality variable predicting social and political attitudes. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 67, 741–763.

Sidanius, J., Pratto, F., & Bobo, L. (1996). Racism, conservativism, affirmative action, and intellectual sophistication: a matter of principled conservativism or group dominance? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 70, 476–490.

Pratto, F., Stallworth, L. M., & Sidanius, J. (1997). The gender gap: differences in political attitudes and social dominance orientation. British Journal of Social Psychology, 36, 49–68.

Pratto, F., Stallworth, L. M., & Conway-Lanz, S. (1998). Social Dominance orientation and the ideological legitimization of social policy. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 28, 1853–1875.

Sidanius, J., & Liu, J. H. (1992). Racism, support for the Persian gulf war, and the police beating of Rodney King: a social dominance perspective. Journal of Social Psychology, 132, 377–395.

Sidanius, J., Liu, J. H., Shaw, J. S., & Pratto, F. (1994). Social dominance orientation, hierarchy attenuators and hierarchy enhancers: social dominance theory and the criminal justice system. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 24, 338–366.

Pratto, F. (1999). The puzzle of continuing group inequality: piecing together psychological, social, and cultural forces in social dominance theory. In M. P. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in experimental social psychology. (Vol. 31, pp. 191–263). San Diego: Academic Press.

 
At 12:11 PM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen, let me make it easy for you without a lot of citations.

Actually, citations would make it a lot easier. For instance, a citation here would be useful:

SDO can be best described as what happens when Marxists derive theory.

Is the Hubert Blalock or the Robert Altemeyer source the refutation? And are you recommending a challenge to SDO or to social theory in general?

Also, why (aside from being more employable) would I do work on "Structural Equation Modeling"?

 
At 1:11 PM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beep, beep! Cut and run.

 
At 9:01 PM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brad, the citations aren't an appeal to authority. They're the sources referenced in the paragraph I pasted, which is only an overview of the concept, not an argument. Cut and paste pointers to journals.

motor, you fall right smack on the median of the Republican normal curve of distribution.

 
At 4:09 PM, February 03, 2006, Blogger Ymarsakar said...

I have a complaint about your New change post.

It wasn't long enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger