Thursday, May 18, 2006

"Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?" Jury still out on that one

It's an ugly rumor, I know, and I shouldn't repeat ugly rumors.

But just this once, I will: Paul McCartney and his wife Heather might be splitsville (the photo accompanying that link, by the way, is proof that after a certain age--or perhaps at any age--you should avoid having a photo taken from a low perspective. Trust me on that one).

So ladies, if you were a "Paul girl" such as yours truly, there is still hope. Not a whole lot of hope, but then again, there never was a whole lot, was there? The odds were always against us. And although even Sir Paul himself is looking a trifle raggedy lately, only those among us without sin should cast the first stone.

But it's the timing of the story--if true--that impresses me. Because it turns out that today Paul is exactly one month short of his sixty-fourth birthday!

So perhaps that song was prescient, after all, in its uncertainty (although the line, "you'll be older too" doesn't seem to apply in Heather's case):

When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older too
And if you say the word
I could stay with you

I could be handy, mending a fuse
When your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds
Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wight
If it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck & Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?
Ho!

7 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger goesh said...

I know it's a sin, but I never much cared for most of the Beatles music.....

 
At 1:06 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger nyomythus said...

Cool observation on Paul’s age and the song! There is no sense of self when people in their 20’s try to image themselves in ‘ancient age’ … when I was a kid I could not image myself, a mental picture, of being older than 35. Some of this might have some relevance on youthful orthodoxies and the volatility and swore allegiances [no matter how blindly or corruptly they are formulated] in which they are defended – there is no mental vision of the self changed …. I dunno, maybe it’s the reality of the difference between emotional maturity and emotional immaturity. But back on the topic of the song, I think it was metaphorical to a physiology that was almost a mythological impossibility, like swimming an endless ocean when you had no desire to even approach the water … okay I’m babbling now. :D

 
At 1:47 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Ymarsakar said...

I think a lot of young people think they are immortal, and have been hard wired to think that way because the human species survived on the principle that men are expendable while women are not. Women thought long term, men around women thought short term.

 
At 6:38 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Jack Trainor said...

Seems like more than a rumor: McCartney Split: $peculation Abounds

There is no pre-nuptial agreement and McCartney's fortune is estimated around $1.5 billion. This could get messy.

 
At 1:05 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger camojack said...

The most arrogant Beatle...lives on.

 
At 8:20 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger SteveR said...

Thanks, Neo - including the song lyrics brought a smile to my face this morning. A big Beatles fan, I've always been especially partial to this song (see http://therosenblog.blogspot.com/2004/11/when-im-sixty-four.html ) I finally got it on a Karoke CD-G... Heaven protect my family!

 
At 8:36 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger karrde said...

I'm a bit too young to be a Beatles fan...

It's still pretty humorous, the way that the words of the song connect to current events.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger