Thursday, August 11, 2005

Calling all Japanese translators

Before I became a blogger, I had no idea how sitemeter or statcounter or any of the other traffic-counting devices worked.

When I first installed my sitemeter, I was enthralled to see all the little things it could tell me about my traffic, or lack thereof. Number of visits per hour, per day--that, I expected. What I didn't expect was all the information about referral pages, page views, and in particular the cute little bar graph maps of the world showing what percentage of my traffic was emanating from which time zone. The first time I saw that there were readers in New Zealand, Australia, Europe, and Hawaii, it gave me a real thrill.

Now I'm a little bit more jaded--but just a little. Recently I noticed a bunch of referrals coming from a mysterious website that appears to be Japanese, although the title seems to be in German. Quite a bit of traffic has come my way from that website recently, with the bar graph map making a surprisingly strong showing in the Japanese time zone.

The only problem is: I don't speak Japanese. It's tantalizing to know that someone is saying something about me that is driving a fair number of readers over here, but I don't know what it is that this person is saying; don't even know whether it's on the order of "what an idiot!" or "read her, she's good."

I tried using one of the automatic online translators, but the results might just as well have stayed in Japanese or German, they remained so unintelligable to me.

So I thought I'd appeal to my readers. Here's the site. What's it all about? Inquiring minds (mine, anyway) want to know.

7 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, August 11, 2005, Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

I wish I could help you. We have the same thing with Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, and Finnish blogs. The first two can be helped by Google translations. Danish is close enough to English so that I can kind of figure out what's going on. Not only that, but the Danish posters and commenters don't seem to care whether they're using Danish or English, so you will see big chunks of English text embedded in the Danish. The Finnish I can't make head nor tail of. Nor, of course, Japanese.

It reminds me of a joke I heard the other night.

What do you call a person who speaks 2 languages?
Bilingual.

What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages?
Trilingual.

What do you call a person who speaks 4 languages?
Quadralingual.

What do you call a person who speaks 1 language?
Monolingual?
No. American.

 
At 2:23 AM, August 12, 2005, Blogger OBloodyHell said...

Well, babelfish may help you some -- try this link. Not as good as an interpretor, mind you, but you can probably get some idea of what is there --

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmeinesache.seesaa.net%2Farticle%2F5776381.html

My own rough scan is that the author likes the psychological approach.

He'd love Dr. Sanity.


For the general purpose, here's the site link:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/

 
At 2:31 AM, August 12, 2005, Blogger OBloodyHell said...

OK, apparently this comment editor isn't handling long lines too well. Let's try this:

Link here

Yeah, that seems to work... If you get any problems, try copying the shortcut directly to the location bar and go that way. If not, you'll have to copy that site address and paste it into the obvious field on the babelfish site. That leaves you only 2/3rds the vertical screen, which is annoying, but, with most browsers, you can "open frame in new window" and get rid of it (I always do). Note that the link text has been xlated, and, more interestingly, the links are being fed through the translation engine, too.

All in all, babelfish is a credit to the namesake, and programming in general.

 
At 7:45 AM, August 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neo Neocon,

Unfornuately, I'm even rustier than I thought. In the post that you linked, the first link is to your post "Terrorists and the Westnern World" on orgonomy. That paragraph says roughly that you wrote a very interesting introduction to "this theme" on your blog. I bet that Gaijin Biker over at www.ridingsun.com could help out with this.

AlexR

 
At 7:04 AM, August 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Oribe, administrator of the referred site.

I introduced your site because I found the sado-masochistic analysis very interesting. So it's definitely "read her, she's good!"

American liberal's masochistic attitude toward Islamo-sadists corresponds to Japanese leftist's masochistic attitude toward sadistic, pushy communist regime of China.

Japanese leftists insist that it's Japanese to blame that Chinese get angry over the past. But Japan apologized many times, especially during its short-lived leftist administration in the 90's. Still, it's in the 90's that CCP intensified its anti-Japanese propaganda. Anti-Japanese war memorials you see in China are mostly built in late 80's and 90's, thanks to Japan's aid money.

Your article reminds me of the fact that people of the left think in the same fashion on both sides of the Pacific. Now, on the eve of general election in Japan, powerful opposition party (Democratic Party of Japan) argues that we should mend fences by bowing to Chinese to promote peace. Of course, liberal DPJ is passionately against the War on Terror, too.

 
At 4:57 PM, August 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Oribe. The mystery is now solved. And it's interesting to hear how similar leftist thought is on both sides of that other pond, the great Pacific Ocean.

To the others who offered suggestions, thanks also. I did try babelfish translator and couldn't really get what it was saying.

 
At 4:41 AM, April 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.palhits.com Get sponsored sign ups and generate hits to your chosen website with this internet marketing site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger