Sunday, August 21, 2005

For tomorrow morning

I took the day off from heavy posting, and expect to return tomorrow.

But I thought I'd offer the following passage from one of my favorite authors, something to think about for tomorrow morning. For those of you who love snooze alarms and Milan Kundera as much as I do, here's an excerpt from his book Immortality (Chapter 2):

I'm in bed, happily dozing. With the first stirrings of wakefulness, around six in the morning, I reach for the small transistor radio next to my pillow and press the button. An early-morning news program comes on, but I am hardly able to make out the individual words, and once again I fall asleep, so that the announcer's sentences merge into my dreams. It is the most beautiful part of sleep, the most delightful moment of the day: thanks to the radio I can savor drowsing and waking, that marvelous swinging between wakefulness and sleep which in itself is enough to keep us from regretting our birth.

And here, from my archives, is the way to rescue yourself if you find that you are overindulging in the blissful pleasure of the snooze alarm.

3 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, August 21, 2005, Blogger Pancho said...

I seem to get my most relaxing, restful and enjoyable sleep if I wake up around dawn and then go back to sleep.

But.....the beauty of working for one's self is that I don't ever have to use an alarm clock, snooze or otherwise.

 
At 1:20 AM, August 22, 2005, Blogger Ron said...

I love the fact that my clock has no face on it, which I would only stare at if I couldn't get to sleep. To hear the time, I just slap the top of it's head and it tells me. This works with hands or feet, such that not much consciousness is needed to know the time, plus you get to whack something on the head first thing in the morning!

It makes an alarm noise like a crowing rooster which is so goddamn silly I wake up laughing...no snoozing needed....

 
At 2:43 AM, August 22, 2005, Blogger camojack said...

ZZZ...

Just kidding; I'm on 3rd shift!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger