Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Marine Corps art

I've added a new blog to my blogroll (via Dr. Sanity). It's called "Fire and Ice," and it's the blog of Michael Fay, the artist in residence for the US Marine Corps.

You may say, as I did, wha??? There's a Marine Corps artist in residence? Who knew? It's not an oxymoron, it's a fact; there is--and he's got a blog, and it's worth a look.

Not only that, but in one of those small coincidences that so often occur, his blog bears the name of one of Robert Frost's most famous poems, in keeping with some of the recent discussions here.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

A look at Fay's Blogger Profile evinces a man of wide-ranging talents and interests, including the literary. And I'm glad to see that, like me, he's a fan of the movie "Groundhog Day," which, if you follow Kundera, makes him an optimist.

3 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, January 04, 2006, Blogger mdfay said...

Thank you so much for posting a link to my blog. Alot of your readers are making use of it. Like yourself I was once a card carrying Lib. The religion stamped into my dog tags is Unitarian Universalist. 9/11 changed everything for me as well. It's sometimes difficult to accept and realize that alot of family and friends don't get it, and are trying to grasp this emerging reality with concepts from the 60's. Again, thanks.

 
At 9:08 PM, January 04, 2006, Blogger Tom Grey said...

George RR Marting is writing a great Fantasy Epic: A Song of Ice and Fire
book 4 (of 7?) just came out.

I was a Libertarian; now Rep.

Fine Frost poem. Meant to mention there is a philosophical argument about probability as a measure of info, versus a frequency. Bayes Theorem is used in Decision Analysis to allow probability to be used as an info measure -- extremely important.
[Flip a coin, let it fall, don't look. What's the probability of THAT flip being heads? 50%? Only if probability measures info -- it either IS (100%) or ISN'T (100%).]

 
At 4:15 PM, January 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found an Album with pictures I had taken while in VietNam in 1968. I started putting a blog together and went to different sites for ideas, thus the reason for being at yours. Nice job and thanks for some good ideas. ---Jack--- vietnam war information

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger