Monday, June 12, 2006

Seattle innovations: storms in the produce section

Yesterday I was in a large Asian grocery store in Seattle. When I say large, I mean mega-supermarket size. About a hundred types of soy sauce, fifty of tofu--oh, perhaps that's hyperbole, but definitely many more than I've ever seen before in one place. A fresh produce section that contained the usual suspects and so many more, some of them varieties of fruits and vegetables I'd never seen before and couldn't identify without their labels.

While I was standing in awe in front of a bunch of mysterious greens, a mysterious sound met my ears. Actually, it wasn't a mysterious sound, it was a familiar one: the rumble of thunder. Only it was a beautiful day, with no threatening storm.

I looked about for guidance, and at that moment the sprayers that keep the produce fresh and crisp turned themselves on. So it seems that Seattle has grocery stores that display both politeness and a sense of humor: the sprayers announce themselves with a recording of a thunderstorm, so that customer can step back and avoid getting spritzed.

What a town.

8 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger Ymarsakar said...

Fifty kinds of tofu, when tofu has no taste, is beyond consideration. I don't see how you can have 2 kinds of tofu since tofu always tastes the same.

 
At 8:25 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger Mikey said...

We've had the thunder sprinklers in Houston (and Salt Lake City, where I used to live) for years. We don't have that many varieties of tofu, however :>)

 
At 10:34 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger Fat Man said...

The Krogers here in central Ohio do the same thing. If they do something in central Ohio at Krogers it's no longer edgy or hip.

 
At 10:57 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger goesh said...

I like spraying unsuspecting customers better, sort of putting them in touch with nature as it really is - while out plucking lettuce we were rained on - lovely, lovely, but I guess litigation lawyers would like my idea even better..... we can't have Granny breaking a hip fleeing the sprinklers in the lettuce section, that's for sure

 
At 7:56 PM, June 12, 2006, Blogger Red River said...

I remember them from when I lived in LA in the early 90s. The VONs stores had them.

I always wanted to start channelling Bing Crosby and dance with a celery stalk when they started.

 
At 10:31 PM, June 12, 2006, Blogger THIRDWAVEDAVE said...

Here in Folsom, we have the same grocery-weather patterns, too. I like 'em.

 
At 10:48 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Snarkatron said...

Sounds like Uwajimaya. One of my favorite stores. You just have to remember to get ahead of the rush if you want the large tubs of fortune cookies during Chinese New Year, they always sell out. Oh, and if you need little dried octopi for any reason, check out the snacks aisle. They are right there next to the potato chips.

 
At 11:14 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Ymarsakar said...


Normally I wouldn't write to you, but I seriously think you need to see a therapist.


Sorry, I got all those therapists booked because it entertains me to do so.

People will just have to make do with self-hypnosis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger