Sunday, July 17, 2005

Should I? No, don't think so

I had no idea when I planned my trip, but it turns out that today is Disneyland's 50th birthday.

Well, it seems serendipitous--after all, I'm here, it's here; a rare confluence of events.

But no, I won't go. I must confess, I'm no Disney fan. As a child I actually had a sort of horror of cartoons--all those animals being squished pancake-flat and then popping up again, phoenix- and accordian-like, only a tiny bit the worse for wear.

Even back when I first visited Disneyland in 1960 (perhaps on its fifth birthday? I liked it at the time, by the way) it was mild stuff like the teacup ride that was my cup of tea. My mother and I did the teacups and the like, while my brother and father went on to heartier fare. And, although I did manage to ride the Matterhorn, I kept my eyes closed most of the time.

Then, as a parent, I put in many a long hour in lines at both Disney parks. But now that the child is grown, no need any more to pretend. I just don't like the place.

I hope this post doesn't end up being the most controversial thing I've ever written.

6 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, July 17, 2005, Blogger camojack said...

I don't like what Mr. Disney's dream has become; I wonder what Walt would say about it.

My sister lives in the Orlando area, and she was disgusted by their policy when she was driving a taxi: her fares would have to pay for her to park, even though she was just dropping them off.

She calls it an evil empire...

That's just one quick example...there are others.

 
At 10:13 PM, July 17, 2005, Blogger Pancho said...

I may have just missed you. We drove from West Texas to Disneyland in 1961......or was it '62. It was the same trip that my family appeared on the old Truth or Consequences TV show with Bob Barker. My mom grew up with Bob and his wife Dorothy Jo in Springfield Mo. Bob was very gracious, introducing us "on air". I still recall meeting Glen Glenn, the pioneer TV sound man who had recorded all the I Love Lucy shows, among many.

 
At 7:57 AM, July 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still remember my reaction to DisneyLand as a child of about 5 years old..."This place is all FAKE! Mickey's not real, the fish in the lagoons are plastic, the employees creepy.... boy was I disappointed.

 
At 12:42 PM, July 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad to see I have some companions in my Disney-nonphilia.

 
At 6:49 PM, July 18, 2005, Blogger Bookworm said...

I've always enjoyed Disney. What I find interesting now is that I see all the meticulous man-made details behind the curtain. When I first say the place as a child in the 1960s, I was completely swept up in the fantasy (which might have been easier then, because Fantasy Land was still pretty new; now it looks a bit worn out). My children also see it through pure imagination, and I enjoy their perception so much it makes up for any faults I might see.

Basically, Disney requires throwing yourself into the spirit, and undoubted imagination of the thing, and ignoring the crowds, the lines, the product commercials, etc.

Having said all that, there's nothing controversial in not liking it. Indeed, if everyone were forced to like it, it would be like that old Cold War joke:

1st man: Come the revolution, everyone will drive a Rolls Royce.

2nd man: But I don't want to drive a Rolls Royce.

1st man: Come the revolution, you'll have to.

 
At 8:06 PM, July 21, 2005, Blogger ljmcinnis said...

I agree. I never was much of a Disneyland- Disneyworld person. I actually like roller coasters and amusement park rides but Disney characters never appealed to me.
Remember Rocky and Bullwinkle, Dudley Dolittle and Fractured Fairytales? They are the only cartoons I remember watching.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger